Skip to main content
BEFORE GENERAL ANAESTHESIA
- You may not have anything to eat or drink for six hours prior to the surgery.
- A small glass of cold water is permissable in extremely hot weather.
- No smoking for at least 24 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany you to the hospital and drive you home.
- Patients should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for at least 24 hours following anaesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting comfortable clothing.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, piercings and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, makeup (especially eye liner), or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- You should shower thoroughly the morning of surgery.
- Male patients must have a shave prior to surgery – an established beard is acceptable.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office or hospital.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with your doctor prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- You must cease all complementary medications such as multivitamins, echinacea, fish oil etc. 3 weeks prior to surgery.