Michael D. Bowler
BDS (Otago NZ), FDSRCS (Edin.) FFDRCS (Irel.), FICD
Meet Dr. Bowler
Dr. Michael Bowler was born and educated in New Zealand attending school in Palmerston North and the University of Otago in Dunedin where he received his dental degree in 1976. On graduation he received the Royal New Zealand Dental Corps Prize in Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine and the New Zealand Dental Association Prosthodontic Society Prize for Restorative Dentistry.
After an initial post-graduate year in Dunedin Public Hospital and the Dental Faculty in Dunedin he was awarded a University of Otago Traveling Scholarship in Dentistry. He studied and trained in oral and maxillofacial surgery in the U.K. National Health Service from 1977 until 1982, holding a number of registrar and senior registrar training positions in a variety of teaching hospitals around the U.K. He qualified as a Fellow in Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1979 and a Fellow of the Faculty of Dental Surgeons of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland in 1982, the latter being an exit tertiary specialist qualification in oral and maxillofacial surgery in the U.K. at that time.
Dr Bowler commenced specialist practice in Newcastle in 1983 when he was appointed as a specialist oral & maxillofacial surgeon to the Royal Newcastle Hospital. He was a Senior V.M.O. in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery with the Hunter Area Health Service until 2013. He is currently in private practice in Charlestown and his main interests are in the fields of temporomandibular joint disorders, facial deformity surgery, maxillofacial trauma and implants, particularly difficult cases involving bone grafts. Like most oral and maxillofacial surgeons he carries out a broad range of minor oral surgical procedures as well.
Dr Bowler has advanced training and a long time special interest in the diagnosis and treatment of temporomandibular joint disorders. He has undertaken numerous TMJ surgery courses around the world and has attended many TMJ conferences both here in Australia and overseas; he is also a frequent invited speaker on the subject of TMJ surgery. He is an International Member of the American Society of TMJ Surgeons – an invitation only society. He routinely undertakes TMJ arthroscopy, surgical repair of the TMJ and total joint replacements; patients are frequently referred to Dr Bowler from all over Australia for this type of surgery.
He was appointed as a Consultant in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery to the Royal Australian Army in 1991 and holds the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. In 1993 he was appointed as the A.D.A. Touring Post-Graduate Lecturer for NSW and the ACT and since that time he has given well over 100 major presentations on a wide range of subjects at numerous professional meetings in Australia and overseas. He has attended many courses and conferences in Australia and overseas and is very conscious of the need to stay up-to-date in his field. He has worked in a number of developing countries in particular Bangladesh, where he has operated and lectured.
Dr Bowler has served on numerous committees, both in the public and private hospitals in Newcastle, and also with the Australian and New Zealand Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons (ANZAOMS) where he has served on committees at both state and federal level. He was elected to the Board of Studies for Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons in 2003. Dr Bowler is also a WorkCover (NSW and Qld) approved assessor of facial injuries and regularly writes medicolegal reports and provides expert opinions in the field of oral and maxillofacial surgery.
He lives in Newcastle is married to Libby and has two daughters. He has travelled widely and is a keen amateur photographer. He is also interested in cars, wine, gardening, cycling, music and books.
- Full member, Australian and New Zealand Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. (Bi-National Association and Association of N.S.W. Members).
- Foundation Member, R.A.C.D.S. Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Australasian Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons (Associate Member).
- Australian Dental Association (Federal, N.S.W. Branch and Newcastle Division).
- Hunter Medical Post-graduate Association.
- N.S.W. Society for Occlusal Studies.
- Australian Central Association of Dentists.
- Australasian Cleft Lip and Palate Association (Foundation Member).
- N.S.W. Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Australian Society for Dental Anaesthesiology.
- British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (Associate Member).
- International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (Life Member).
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. (Affiliate Member).
- American College of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons (Fellow).
- American Society of TMJ Surgeons (Invited International Member).
- Federation Dentaire Internationale.
- New Zealand Dental Association (Overseas Member).
- International College of Dentists (Fellow)
- ANZAOMS – Australian and New Zealand Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- IAOMS – International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- AAOMS -American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- BAOMS – British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- ASTMJS – American Society of TMJ Surgeons
- ADA – The Australian Dental Association